3 injured as major natural gas leak, fire trigger evacuations in North Seattle
-- Seattle, WA
A North Seattle neighborhood was evacuated and three Puget Sound Energy workers were injured after a major natural gas leak and fire erupted there, police and emergency officials said.
Police and firefighters responded to the scene, just off Aurora Avenue North in the 10300 block of Midvale Avenue North, at about 10:30 a.m. Friday after receiving reports of a gas leak. As fire crews were evacuating residents in the area, a fire broke out from the ruptured gas line while PSE crews were working to secure the leak.
Three PSE workers were injured while trying to secure the line and were transported to the hospital in stable condition.
"Allowing the gas to continue burning is the safest way to mitigate the hazard,”
the department said in a tweet. Firefighters kept nearby buildings and vehicles from catching fire. Seattle Fire said all impacted buildings were evacuated. No other injuries were reported.
This story will be updated when more information becomes available.