top of page

K9 Chief shot during pursuit Friday, MLPD confirms

Written by MLWA 7 Staff

MOSES LAKE - The Moses Lake Police Department has publicly identified the K9 dog that was shot during a pursuit Friday night.

K9 Chief was shot during a pursuit on Friday night. According to iFIBER ONE News, Chief was shot through his left eye, and suffered injuries to his face and throat.

Chief began his law enforcement in career with Moses Lake police in 2018. The four-legged K9 continues to receive treatment at the WSU Veterinary hospital in Pullman. As expected, a CT scan was performed Monday afternoon by veterinary staff.

Moses Lake police Chief Kevin Fuhr told iFIBER ONE News that Chief is scheduled for surgery on Tuesday to have his eye removed. The K9 suffered a small fracture in his jaw, requiring a soft muzzle. Chief did not sustain any internal injuries. Fuhr added that K9 Chief ate for the first time on Monday.

The man who allegedly opened fire on a MLPD K9 Friday night and was shot by the K9’s partner was identified on Monday.

Jose L. Rivera, 22, of Moses Lake was ultimately shot after allegedly opening fire on K9 Chief during a pursuit Friday night.

An autopsy is scheduled for Monday for Rivera, the Grant County Coroner’s Office told iFIBER ONE News Monday morning.

Rivera was reportedly wanted in connection to several burglaries in the area.

Moses Lake police Street Crime detectives and patrol officers began searching for Rivera at around 10:43 p.m., according to iFIBER ONE News. Officers reportedly found Rivera’s vehicle was located on Airway Drive and police attempted to initiate a traffic stop, Moses Lake Police Chief Kevin Fuhr told iFIBER ONE News.

Rivera reportedly fled, leading authorities on a pursuit for several miles along Valley Road, Grape Drive, Oregon Street and then returned to Valley Road, which lead to authorities successfully deploying spike strips during the pursuit, according to iFIBER ONE News.

Rivera came to a stop on Denton Road in the Cascade Valley area. Rivera allegedly attempted to flee but was chased by a Officer Nick Stewart and K9 Chief.

“Chief Fuhr said during the chase, the suspect pulled out a handgun and opened fire, striking the K9. The officer returned fire, killing the suspect,” iFIBER ONE News stated.

The Columbia Basin Investigative Team is conducting an investigation into the shooting.

224 views0 comments


bottom of page