Team Trees and the general public to plant 20 Million Trees to combat climate change
- The United States of America
The organization Team Trees lead by Jimmy Donaldson or known to the Internet as Mr. Beast has hit their target of planting over 20 million trees. This is one of the biggest movements to combat and fight against climate change and help eliminate the human carbon footprint.
Jimmy Donaldson aka Mr. Beast took to his YouTube channel and other social media outlets back in late October with the ambitious goal of raising enough money by 2020 to pay for the planting 20 million new trees, at $1 per tree.
The roots of this campaign (pun definitely intended), which is working in a partnership with the Arbor Day Foundation, took hold in an unexpected place. It all started back in May 2019, when the YouTuber Jimmy "Mr. Beast" Donaldson was looking for a way to celebrate after hitting 20 million subscribers.
He soon realized after asking fans for advice that he could use his expanding reach to promote a greener world. In the months that followed, Donaldson partnered with a group of fellow YouTubers as they all agreed to call on their subscribers – totaling around 650 million – to donate money that would then go to the Arbor Day Foundation.
The effects of planting 20 million trees is a small but important step in making our environment a more healthy enjoyable pace. By planting a portion of the newly donated trees on city streets they can help clean/purify the air around them, shade buildings during the summer months (which reduces the amount of time air conditioning units need to run inside the building), and absorb tons of rain water (which relieves stress on city sewer systems).
What other benefits can a tree have?
- 1 Oak Tree can be home to as many as 500 different species.
- A many as 10 trees around homes and other buildings can reduce an energy bill by 30%.
- The tree roots help keep soil from washing away and or eroding during severe storms along with improving the quality of our waters.
- Trees take in carbon dioxide and release fresh oxygen that humans and many other animals need to survive. Planting new trees can help small and major cities reduce their air quality index to more healthier levels.